Bicycle Insurance FAQs
Q: What type of cycles do you cover?
We cover all types of cycles with a few exceptions; the only cycles that we do not cover are:
- ePeds, iPeds or cycles of similar specification (cycles that look similar to mopeds)
- Velomobiles, Streamliners or Dutch Cargo bikes
- Cycles used for carrying more than one passenger, this excludes purpose built passenger carrying trailers and tandems
Q: How do I value my cycle(s)?
We recommend that you value each cycle and any additional parts or components at the full, undiscounted value (RRP) when purchased new. We recommend this because we cover your cycle new for old without a limit to age, and covering the full value means that we can cover the cost or replacement like for like.
You can value the cycle at an amount of your choice provided it is lower than the RRP, however we will only cover you up to the value you have listed. This is formally known as the indemnity value and is most commonly done with second hand or vintage cycles (which we cover by the way).
Q: Do I need to lock my cycle up?
Yes – you will need to lock your cycle up when it is away from home, attached to a vehicle and in some circumstances, at home. If your cycle is kept in your house or your garage that’s attached to your house, then you do not need to lock it to anything. However, if your cycle is kept in a detached garage, outhouse, communal hallway or wooden or metal shed, then it’s required that you secure your cycle in one of two ways:
- All external doors must be secured by a minimum of a 5 lever mortice deadlock or 5 lever padlock; or
- The cycle must be secured through the frame to an immovable object by the appropriate lock
When your cycle is secured away from your home or to a vehicle, you must meet one of the security requirements bulleted above. Full details can be found under ‘Security Requirements’ on page 9 of our Policy Wording.
Q: What type of lock do I need?
Your lock must be a Sold Secure rated lock and the rating must be appropriate to the value of your cycle. The Sold Secure security ratings are separated into three categories, Bronze, Silver or Gold and we require that you have a Sold Secure lock appropriate to the following value ranges:
- Bronze – cycle value up to £1,500
- Silver – cycle value between £1,501 and £2,500
- Gold – cycle value of £2,501+
Full lock details can be found on our Locks page.
Q: Do I need to provide proof of ownership for my cycles and locks?
Yes – in the unfortunate event of a claim, we require that you provide us with valid proof of ownership of both your cycles and locks (if it’s relevant to your claim). Our preferred proof of ownership is the purchase receipt of your cycles or locks, however, if you haven’t kept these, pictures and bank statements may also suffice.
Q: How do I make a claim?
To make a claim, please call our 24 hour phone line on 0800 083 3035.
Q: Can I use my local shop to repair or replace my cycle?
Yes – provided that this has been agreed by our claims department and/or our underwriters before any work has been undertaken.
Q: How do you replace my cycle if I have a claim?
We will replace your cycle in one of two ways:
- we will provide a like for like replacement cycle from a dealer of your or our choice; or
- we will send a cash sum for the value of your cycle less any excess payable
How we replace your cycle is circumstantial to the claim and at our discretion, but we always look to put you first when dealing with your claim.
Q: What excess do I have to pay if I have a claim?
Your excess will depend on the type of claim you have:
- If you have a Theft or an Accidental Damage claim, the excess is 5% of your cycle value, with a minimum of £50 and a maximum of £200
- If you have a Public Liability claim the excess is £500
- If you have a Road Rage claim (an optional cover) the excess is £25
Q: What number do I call if my cycle breaks down?
If your cycle breaks down more than a mile away from your home please call our 24 hour breakdown provider, Call Assist, on 01206 714739.
Q: Can anyone else ride my bike and be covered?
We can cover multiple riders on one policy; however, only family members who permanently live with you are covered to ride your bike, provided they are named on your policy.
Q: Can I make changes to my policy?
Yes – To make a change to your policy, please call one of our customer service agents on 0800 083 3035. Our lines are open from Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 17:00.
Q: Is my cycle covered to travel abroad?
Yes – your cycle is covered worldwide for up to 90 consecutive days per trip. Please note that we do not cover you for Public Liability in the following countries: USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Q: Is my cycle covered in transit on a plane?
Yes – We cover your cycle while it is being transported by an airline, however, we do require that your cycle is safely secured within a bike box. As well as your cycle being covered, we also cover your bike box, or a hired bike box, up to £500 for theft or accidental damage. If your cycle or bike box is stolen or has sustained damage in transit, you must:
- Complete a Property Irregularity Report form provided by the airline
- Give written notice of the claim to the airline within the time limit contained in their conditions of carriage (usually within 7 days of the loss/incident)
- Keep all travel tickets and tags for submission to us
Q: Am I covered if someone knocks me off my cycle?
Yes – we will cover the cost of repair or replacement for any damages to your cycle. In addition we provide free legal advice to all of our policyholders and if necessary we can appoint a specialist cycle solicitor to pursue a claim against a responsible party for any personal injury you may have sustained.